Speaking of cheesesteaks, Philly has the best because that's where they originated. I figured I'd pay tribute to the name and speak of the world's best sandwich. There are three famous cheesesteak places in Philly. Pat's, Gino's, and the slightly less famous Tony Luke's. Personally, I like Pat's for the bread and Gino's for the meat. Pat's was the original, therefore I feel as though I need to get a steak from there when I visit South Philly. There is a specific way in which to order, or else, according to the sign at Pat's, you will be thrown to the back of the line (which is ALWAYS long). Assuming you're ordering a steak, you say "wiz wit" for cheese whiz with sauteed onions (the original), "provolone wit" for provolone cheese with sauteed onions, "American wit-out" for American cheese without sauteed onions, or simply "wit" or "wit-out" for a cheese-less cheesesteak with or without sauteed onions. They understand that there are people new to the idea of South Philly cheesesteaks, so they are accepting of people who look like newbies and help them out. Here's a video demonstrating the outrageous competition between cheesesteak institutions on Passayunk Avenue.
Later,
Kelly
No comments:
Post a Comment